OPEN CALL FOR BESTIARIUM
“BESTIARIUM 2020” is the second part of a double printmaking event by The ATHENS PRINTMAKING ART CENTER- PANDOLFINI & SIATERLI, a non-profit company, which will exhibit the work at the ETCH INK Art Space, Athens in October & November 2020.
In this event, The ATHENS PRINTMAKING ART CENTER- PANDOLFINI & SIATERLI will collect many artworks from the contemporary scene of printmaking. Personal expressions from artists interested and concerned for the vulnerable fauna of the planet.
We are calling for all interested artists across the world to participate in this second exhibition phase; focusing on the recording and classification of the Earth’s Fauna, through the medium of printmaking. The call is addressed to artists from all corners of the world.
Printmaking, as a historically pioneering language of communication, has presented animal classification to scientific research. Tracing this process, we propose today our own versions of animal images: recording, engraving and printing with materials and technical procedures that we no longer find in the field of image communication, but only in the field of art.
Systematic classification is the practice used by Biology to classify living beings. It serves to separate, for study, living organisms found in a huge variety in the natural world: from huge whales to tiny bacteria.
BESTIARIUM 2020 is the presentation of a montage of animals, both real or imaginary. Each animal image can be “narrated “, through the printmaking language in a wide variety of engraving styles and techniques.
Throughout the history of Art, there have been engravers who have created woodcuts or copperplates and other techniques, their own BESTIARIUM. Often, each animal, beast or mythological creature was associated with poems, stories or a morality lesson.
For example, Guillaume Apollinaire’s “Bestiaire”, illustrated with Raoul Duffy’s woodcuts.
RULES & GUIDELINES TO APPLY
Deadline: AUGUST 31, 2020
Calling on: artists, & printmakers WORLDWIDE
Entry FEE: No fee
PARTICIPATION FEE ONLY
– Applicants will be notified by SEPTEMBER 7, 2020.-Exhibitions will occur between OCTOBER 2020 and DECEMBER 2020. Exact dates will be announced soon.-Exhibitions typically run for 3 weeks with two weeks in between shows for gallery preparation.-Exhibition proposals are reviewed by a committee of Athens Printmaking Center Pandolfini & Siaterli members and guest jurors. Final selections are made using the organizations’s curatorial statement as a guidepost.
RULES TO APPLY
- STAY ON THE SUBJECT (Artworks that focus on the subject of recording and classifying animals are preferred to projects in which the central theme is different (example, a landscape with animals).
-Animal images can be real, fictional, mythical or extinct.
- WE ACCEPT ALL THE PRINTMAKING MEDIUMS ( WOODCUT, LINOCUT, ETCHINK, SUGARLIFT DRY POINT , SILKPRINT .Projects that have the possibility of reprinting are preferred to monotypes . (The work must have been made using any traditional printmaking techniques, including screenprinting, linocut, lithography, etching, collagraph, monotype, electro-etching, woodcut, photopolymer, etc. Digital prints (prints made with a printer) are not accepted. However, digital processes can be used to elaborate prints that are traditionally printed. )
- FILL IN CAREFULLY THE APPLICATION FORM ( YOU WILL FIND IT BELOW )
- THE SIZE IS FIXED 22 x 30 cm. (PAPER SIZE) .DO NOT APLLY FOR BIGGER ARTWORKS BUT YOU CAN APPLY FOR SMALLER
- THERE IS NO APPLICATION FEE BUT THERE IS A PARTICIPATION FEE ( ONLY IF YOU ARE ACCEPTED )
- SHIPPING COSTS ARE WITH THE ARTIST
- WHEN THE TIME COMES YOU SHIP YOUR ARTWORK UNFRAMED
- THE PARTICIPATION FEE IS NOT REFUNDABLE
We do not take any commission from the sales. The funds from the sold artworks go back to the artists 100%. This is why a small fee of 55 euros per artwork will be applied to the artists who will be selected to exhibit in our shows. The funds we gather from the fees are going towards the needs of the exhibitions:
• Maintenance of the Gallery space
• Printing costs (poster, labels etc)
• POSTER design & SOCIAL MEDIA marketing
The shortlisted artists will be notified by e-mail with instructions
PARTICIPATION FEE per artwork 55 euros ( if you want to apply more than one artwork you have to complete a new application for each new artwork , if more than one of your artworks are selected you will have a 10 % discount. )
APPLY HERE —- BE SURE YOU COMPLETE THE HOLE FORM AND AFTER CLICK ON SUBMIT